Monday, October 30, 2006

New Tech, New World: Library 2.0

You know, I put this off for last because I'm overwhelmed with all the new technology out there. Back in the day I worked for a PR firm that specialized in promoting technology companies. I was very much on top of what was new and hot. Fast forward to 1/2 dozen years later and I'm borderline clueless. So for this exercise I thought I would simply write about Library 2.0. I am amazed how far reaching, how much of a "movement" this concept is in the greater library world. What I had thought was a clever exercise to get our library system familiar with the latest technology turns out to be a universal push to continue to offer patrons new and improved services aligned with their needs. And in this day and age of blogs and YouTube, we've got to design services using technologies that your patrons use. I just read in LJ's Tech Blog that Talis is holding a Mash-Up contest to generate great new ideas to improve library services - I look forward to seeing what wins. And I look forward to see what we here at PLCMC will develop!

No comments: